Few things are more beautiful than a new mother doting over her new-born baby. It is evident in these moments that her focus has shifted completely from herself to her new baby.
It is, however, also a time of readjustment, a time of settling into a new routine and loving a slightly changed body. For many new mothers it is also a time of having to deal with thinning hair.
Studies show that hair loss after childbirth is a common issue affecting 20%–30% of new mothers and peaking 2 to 4 months after delivery. The good news is that hair loss after pregnancy is usually temporary taking to 12 months to recover.
The increased levels of hormones during pregnancy actually cause many women to retain more hairs than usual, due to disruption of the hair growth cycle. This is where the stereotypical image of a pregnant woman developing fuller, glossier hair comes from.
However, the reduced shedding during pregnancy often results in excessive shedding after a baby is born, as the body regulates its hormone levels and hair shedding catches up.
While hair recovery does happen, a new mother is not expecting the additional disruption and wants some TLC. She needs an understanding and knowledgeable hairdresser to help her get visible results.
Let’s have a look at what happens to a new mother's hair
• Hair grows in cycles. During pregnancy 95% of the hair is in a growing stage vs. the normal 80%
• Due to hormonal changes in pregnancy, the hair diameter can increase but readjusts after delivery
• About three months after delivery the growth rate falls, and shedding rises sharply
• During pregnancy, the high concentration of estrogen leads to the development of thicker fuller, stronger and longer hair. Estrogen is responsible for the maintenance of the skin and its vessels and can lengthen the growth phase
• The lowering of testosterone slows down the sebum (oil) production which also makes hair appear more bouncy
• Once the estrogen levels return to normal post birth, the hair growth cycle also returns to what is normal for that specific new mother
• The hair in the prolonged growth phase now shifts to the shedding phase
• This result is Post-Partum Telogen Effluvium, and this could last for anything from 3 to 12 months.
Help new mothers feel great
• A supportive NIOXIN in-salon consultation is key to assessing a new mother’s hair concerns*
• After assessment, advise her on the type of cut and colour needed to make her hair look thicker and fuller
• Follow-up with a specific 3D Expert Care in-salon treatment that complements her hair needs
• Home care is critical. Recommend a 3-Step System Kit for her daily hair regime.
• For instant density and increased hair diameter suggest easy-to-use 3D styling products.
Share our NIOXIN New Mommy Campaign, help us help new mothers take time out for themselves and feel great with thicker, fuller hair** in 30 days.
* Almost 7 out of 10 new mothers concerned with thinning hair wish their stylist had recommended what to do with their hair change after pregnancy.
** Value data Kline & Company
About the NIOXIN 3-Part System Kits
Each 3-part System contains a unique blend of three technologies, formulated to promote scalp health and combat thin hair in both women and men. The NIOXIN range of products is designed to strengthen, nourish and repair thinning hair from its foundation.
NIOXIN System 1 – Lightly thinning Natural Hair
NIOXIN System 2 – Progressed Thinning Natural Hair
NIOXIN System 3 - Lightly thinning Colour Treated Hair
NIOXIN System 4 – Progressed thinning Colour Treated Hair
NIOXIN System 5 - Lightly thinning Chemically Treated hair (Bleached, Permed or Relaxed)
NIOXIN System 6 – Progressed thinning Chemically Treated hair (Bleached, Permed or Relaxed)
Don’t stock NIOXIN? Find out more about NIOXIN consultations, in-salon services and products:
Phone: 021 590 3700
You might also enjoy...
Take the 30 Day Challenge to Fuller Hair and a Fuller Life
Social Media Magnifies the Impact of Hair Thinning
Keep Ahead of Change by Being Prepared with Koleston Perfect ME+ Colour